Friday, February 4, 2011

Baby Football Tutorial

I had some extra fabric after making an outfit and I didn't want to throw it away but I wasn't sure what to do with it. After a few moments, I thought it would be great to make a football that matched the outfit and it turned out pretty cute.

Here is the tutorial on how I made it:

I first measured out how big I wanted to make the football(you can always make this larger or smaller.) I found this was a good size for a baby, my little guy was able to hold onto this easily.

Photobucket

I then drew arcs connecting the lines. I did this freehand, and I definitely wasn't even, but I fixed it later.

Photobucket

After cutting out my pattern I folded it in fours, along the lines. I then cut along the pattern so all the arcs matched perfectly.

Photobucket

Using the pattern, I cut 4 pieces of my choice fabric.

Photobucket

I did my embroidery next, this is an optional step.

Photobucket

Next, sew the top portion along one side and the bottom portion along one side. I used a serger, but a sewing machine for this step works too.

Photobucket

I then, sewed the top portion to the bottom portion. Make sure that you leave a small opening along one of the four sewn sides so you can turn it inside out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I added stuffing, and put in the bell. I use cat toys that have a bell inside. I find that if I put in a bell alone the stuffing muffles the bell sound a little bit. When I use a cat toy the bell has the plastic casing to "jingle" against, so it is a more pronounced bell sound. Plus, the cat toy bell is usually too big for a baby to accidentally choke on should a seam of the football open somehow.

Photobucket

Next, you will stitch the opening closed. I used a whip stitch, whatever you decide it doesn't have to be perfect since you will be sewing the laces over that area.

Photobucket

Using embroidery floss, add the laces over the opening you just closed.

Photobucket

And you are done! Enjoy...

1 comment:

  1. That is adorable Tiffany! He is going to have a fun time at the game party: ) Go Steelers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...